ryan on November 17, 2007, 03:42:51 AM
Hi, I'm considering either models and need your opinions/suggestions as I have no experience in owning a Vespa or anything from Piaggio.

1. How do you find its 12" wheels? Do you always have to be extra careful avoiding bumpy roads?
2. How are the lights? Is it strong enough at night? Just tried my friend's MP3 and its lights were very bright.
3. How's the quality like fittings, engine, and electrical parts? Had a Italjet Dragster 180 years ago and my overall impression was not good at all.
4. Is it comfortable enough for touring? I've had a Cagiva Planet 125 before and it was nowhere comfortable in Tagaytay roads.
5. Which model do you like more?  I understand that the GT250 has a very slightly stronger engine, better gas mileage due to FI, very slightly lower seat height (important for shorties like me), and will cost only a bit more. However, just from pictures, I kinda like the design lines of the GT200 a bit more. With the GT250, I have to wait until next year also. What would you choose guys?

I'm also still slightly considering the MP3 which my friend kindly allowed me to test drive around his village. But I still think its too costly despite its cool and practical features so I might take it off my shortlist soon.

Thanks for your replies in advance!

silver2tone on November 17, 2007, 04:47:52 AM
hi ryan,
if you are choosing between the GT 200 and GTS 250, i cannot personally give you advice but i can tell you what my friends over here say. they say the GTS handles way better than the GT. the difference in speed i hear is not really significant. EFI in GTS against not for GT, i don't know much about this but there are schools for and against EFI in scooters and i don't want to get into that.

i just noticed that in buying bikes before, the italjet and cagiva, you brought the wrong brands!! where are those now? even if piaggio is italian it has much more support in the Philippines in terms of parts availability and service.

Italix on November 17, 2007, 08:18:06 AM
Here's a link to a very entertaining blog of a tour up Mt. Evans in Colorado by a group of friends on the scoots you are considering to purchase: www.sqream.net/sqream/mtevansride06.html

These scoots are indeed comfortable and robust enough for touring.  Although the engine size won't get you into SLEX or NLEX, you can take this bike to practically anywhere in the country with paved roads.

Between an EFI and a carbureted model, though, I would go for the carb for better service options in the Philippines. I have just heard of too many nightmares from scooter owners whose rides gathered dust for many months, because their dealer could not service their defective EFIs.

direkpal on November 17, 2007, 04:37:52 PM
i've had my GT200 for several months now, and all i can say is i love it.
having come from riding a PX150 for more than 8 years, the difference is like night and day. the power, the handling and the ride are all very good. it's my everyday ride, and i'm pretty comfortable on metro manila streets. also, i just got back from my first long ride on it (bicol/sorsogon) and i was very happy with the performance.
the difference between the GT200 & the GTS250 will probably be more cosmetic than anything else (aside from the displacement and fuel injection), so i guess you'll just have to decide on which look you like better.
vespa granturismo sport gts300ie super - bianco bella

euroscoot inc - decade 1

direkyey on November 17, 2007, 04:53:49 PM
1. How do you find its 12" wheels? Do you always have to be extra careful avoiding bumpy roads?

Just like direkpal, I've had my GT200 for several months already, although not brand new (it was with the first batch of GTs that came in). We were in the Matnog, Sorsogon ride and what I really liked about the GT is its being sure footed. During the ride, we experienced all kinds of road conditions from best to worst and the GT took all of it very well.

2. How are the lights? Is it strong enough at night? Just tried my friend's MP3 and its lights were very bright.

Yes. The lights are ok.

3. How's the quality like fittings, engine, and electrical parts? Had a Italjet Dragster 180 years ago and my overall impression was not good at all.

Not bad at all. My GT is probably one of the oldest around and I dont hear any rattles at all. Everything still works.

4. Is it comfortable enough for touring? I've had a Cagiva Planet 125 before and it was nowhere comfortable in Tagaytay roads.

After arriving from the Matnog, Sorsogon ride (1,238 kms), I was still able to take my mountain bike out for some road works the same day.

5. Which model do you like more?  I understand that the GT250 has a very slightly stronger engine, better gas mileage due to FI, very slightly lower seat height (important for shorties like me), and will cost only a bit more. However, just from pictures, I kinda like the design lines of the GT200 a bit more. With the GT250, I have to wait until next year also. What would you choose guys?

I would love to have the GTV. In fact, I reserved one. But after looking at things, I think shelling out another 150k to get it was just too much for me. So, I'm keeping my GT. Just a note, Nani and Migs from 2211 just came from Singapore and hooked with the Piaggio guys. According to them, the engine of the GTV and the GTS is the most worry free engine they have ever designed.

I'm also still slightly considering the MP3 which my friend kindly allowed me to test drive around his village. But I still think its too costly despite its cool and practical features so I might take it off my shortlist soon.

Thanks for your replies in advance!
Riding a scooter is like eating steak and having sex at the same time. It's wonderful.
-Mikey Teutul/American Chopper

EuroScoot, Inc.

Scars are tattoos with stories to tell - Unknown

2001 Ford Explorer Sport Trac
2012 150 cc. 4T Stella

lex on November 17, 2007, 05:26:07 PM
ryan, basta vespa you won't go wrong  ;)

bimmerman5 on November 17, 2007, 06:09:00 PM
GS, PX, LX, GT, GTS, GTV..lahat yan vespa, lahat yan success! ;)
"some got gold and oil and diamonds and all we got is maryjane..legalize it..time to recognize it..."  -sean da paul-

PIETROS PIZZA on November 18, 2007, 06:42:39 AM
GT200. 50cc difference is not that big. The power of the 250 from the 200 won't go that far from the lower displacement.

ryan on November 18, 2007, 10:39:13 PM
Thanks sa feedback guys!

I guess only thing I need to do is to visit 2211 again and try to sit on one and get the feel of a Vespa.

randypogi on November 19, 2007, 06:27:45 AM
Thanks sa feedback guys!

I guess only thing I need to do is to visit 2211 again and try to sit on one and get the feel of a Vespa.

Congrats in advance!  ;D
2Corinthians 5:17

bhong08 on November 19, 2007, 07:55:45 PM
GT200 ka na lang ryan,just what pal said cosmetics lang kaya mas maganda tingnan ang 250,get a GT200 and used your wild side for your cosmetics at least personalized for your own taste........

o.t lang
may mama kasi dyan magpapalagay ng fender crest na naka GT,hehehehe
in preparation ba sa vespa attack????? ;D
"Di bale ng tamad wag lang pagod"

silver2tone on November 19, 2007, 08:21:49 PM
for those who have owned both the GT and the GTS, they say there's  world of a difference  ;)

ryan on November 19, 2007, 10:22:04 PM
Guys, visited 2211 kanina and finally decided on a red GTS. February yata yung target arrival date and hope there won't be any delay! :)

GTV was also tempting but since I'm planning to either shave the GTS' seat or even buy a customized low seat, sayang naman yung brown leather seat ng GTV hehe!

silver2tone on November 19, 2007, 10:36:31 PM
great choice Ryan!

rastaman on November 20, 2007, 08:00:07 AM
when you have the dough you have a choice...congrats ryan..may discount na tayo sa motoworld...yeyyy ;D

sushmita (vitto 07) - kaikala (9.1 southpoint)- maryjane (peerless lite)
viva vcop