randypogi on August 25, 2009, 09:37:10 AM
counterflow was discussed in the ILLEGAL USE OF SIDEWALK thread and was further discussed during the newbie ride
in forest club.  there were reported "counterflow" apprehension by traffic law enformers in the community.  we need to be
properly informed when apprehended.

the questions is, "when does counterflow becomes a traffic violation?" or "is counterflow the same as passing vehicles
as defined by LTO?" 

according to LTO defensive driving guidelines:  http://www.lto.gov.ph/defense2.html

PASSING

The law places the responsibility on the driver of the passing car, if the driver makes mistakes in passing he is held liable.

Three Important Things to Remember in Passing

1.)  It is illegal to speed up when being passed. Continue at the same speed, or reduce your speed.

2.)  Help other drivers to pass safely. Move to the right side of your lane to give the other driver more room
      and a better view ahead.

3.)  Show the passing driver the same courtesy that you would expect from other drivers.

When not to pass - Especially on Roads Marked by Signs

1.)  At no-passing zone marked by signs or by solid yellow lanes or double-solid yellow lines which indicate no passing.

2.)  On blind-curves where you would not be able to see oncoming cars, always stay in your own lane on any curve,
      out of the way of oncoming traffic.

3.)  On going up a hill, passing is not allowed from 700 to 1,000 feet from the top of a hill.

4.)  At intersections or railroad crossing-where other vehicles or pedestrians may suddenly appear
      or unless such intersections is controlled by traffic signal.

5.)  Near a bridge or underpass hat may cut- off a road shoulder. You or the car passed might need to use
      the shoulder road in case emergency arises.

Where Passing is not Safe

1.)  When there is a long time of cars ahead.

2.)  When you intend to turn or stop very soon.

3.)  When an incoming car is too close.

4.)  When the car ahead is going at or near the speed limit. Speed limit is still applied when passing.

5.)  When sight distance ahead is limited.

6.)  When the maneuver would have to be completed in a no-passing zone such as hill, curve or intersection.

Passing on the right is permitted only - When overtaking another vehicle making or about to make a left turn or signaling intent to make a left turn.

On streets and highways marked for multi-lanes; and

On one-way traffic streets.

you can also call MMDA 136 Hotline.

Hope this helps.  Ride defensively!   :)
2Corinthians 5:17

bosero on August 25, 2009, 10:49:35 AM
basta nag signal na ang taffic enforcer na pwede, counterflow na ako...  while on wasp, i never counterflow kung matrapik lang...  when i am on cage, kinaiisan ko kasi ang mga riders na naka counterflow!  sarap sagiin!  :D  and if you noticed, sobrang angasss ng mga rider na naka counterflow!  alam kasi nila na iiwas ka!

i just recalled, yong isa naming expat, naka head-on collition sa isang sasakyan na nag counter-flow!  sabi ng expat namin, di daw sya ng minor kasi right of way daw sya...

counterflow is already a "culture" of pinoy drivers!  pakiramdam kasi natin, pagbibigyan tayo...  also, with the road and traffic condition in our country, lahat ng driving skills at panglalamang sa kalsada nalalaman natin!   ;)

cheers,

=tops
https://www.facebook.com/tops.marin

- i ride a VESPA! and i call her ALICIA! -

randypogi on August 25, 2009, 12:35:33 PM
always check the road traffic markings and traffic signs posted when passing vehicles. 

maraming naka-abang especially sa NLEX from san fernando to sta. ines.  from there it goes two way na and solid yellow marking lane kaya strictly no overtaking.  may naka-abang na mga traffic enforcer na nakatago sa ilalim ng overpass with a binoculars and he will advice the waiting traffic enforcers at the toll plaza via radio. i was apprehended already.  when i overtook the truck i remembered na may nagsabi sa akin na beware of that stretch eh naka overtake na ako then i saw the enforcer na nakatago sa ilalim.  pagdating sa dulo i was apprehended and hindi na ako nakipagtalo because it was really my fault.  may bagong implementation rule ang LTO that all traffic violations will fall under reckless driving.  so ang violation ko was overtaking in a non-overatking zone + reckless driving.  you need to go seminar once you get your driving license sa LTO.  akala ko P 350.00 lang ang fine...hindi pala at Php 1,500 because of reckless driving violation.

ingat mga chief when passing/overtaking vehicles.

bert control on August 25, 2009, 01:16:58 PM
yikes! that part of NLEX is my route at least twice a week! that single lane could be difficult specially if you're tailing a slow truck kaya you're forced to overtake...thanks for the warning though!

"character is what a man has when he does something right even when no one is looking"

teka, randy, hindi ka na nakipagtalo sa humuli sa yo?  ::) ;D
VCOP
Angono Boy
Eastcooter Boys

There are only 3 kinds of people on this earth. Those that know how to count, and those that don't.

randypogi on August 25, 2009, 01:57:51 PM
teka, randy, hindi ka na nakipagtalo sa humuli sa yo?  ::) ;D

bert, ganun nga nangyari sa akin. a very slow truck was infront of me.  i overtook the truck because there was no incoming traffic as in
halos a kilometer away pa yung kasalubong ko.  so i proceeded to overtake.  ayun, huli!  hindi na ako nakipagtalo na i overtook on clear lane with caution kaya lang a solid yellow lane means "no overtaking" zone nothing more nothing less.  :)

sabi nga nila..."sa mata ng bata ang ginagawa ng matanda ay laging tama."  hahahahaha... ;D

kaya ingat mga chief.  ride and drive defensively.

becks on August 25, 2009, 08:10:28 PM
bert, ganun nga nangyari sa akin. a very slow truck was infront of me.  i overtook the truck because there was no incoming traffic as in
halos a kilometer away pa yung kasalubong ko.  so i proceeded to overtake.  ayun, huli!  hindi na ako nakipagtalo na i overtook on clear lane with caution kaya lang a solid yellow lane means "no overtaking" zone nothing more nothing less.  :)

sabi nga nila..."sa mata ng bata ang ginagawa ng matanda ay laging tama."  hahahahaha... ;D

kaya ingat mga chief.  ride and drive defensively.

so pano nangyari sir kuha ba lisensya then tubos sa east ave? or yung press release na sa metrobank na kinukuha lisensya ngayun?

thanks!

randypogi on August 25, 2009, 08:13:30 PM
so pano nangyari sir kuha ba lisensya then tubos sa east ave? or yung press release na sa metrobank na kinukuha lisensya ngayun?

thanks!

tubos sa east ave ang lisensiya may kasamang seminar pa. 

becks on August 25, 2009, 08:19:58 PM
laking abala naman na pala nyan sir, so 1 day leave from work, and i can just imagine ang daming tao dun cause main office yun.

a similar incident happened to me, e-pass lane violation naman, umiwas ako sa lubak sa south station this is the muntinlupa/festival exit. lucky for me pumayag sila na ia\pakuha sa messenger, fine was only 200 i think.

there so ingat na lang lagi mga sir!

Italix on August 26, 2009, 09:40:56 AM
Thanks for this post, Randy.  Riding home on Saturday, Jay and I took the service road from Calamba, and I was very conscious about not counter flowing.  My lesson from the San Juan ticket is that towns and municipalities have the authority to issue ordinances that we may not even be aware of.  And with the proliferation of reckless motorcyclists, we can expect more local ordinances against bikers. So to be on the safe side, it is best to ride defensively indeed.

becks on September 05, 2009, 06:31:16 AM
sir randy gaano katagal yung seminar and yung exam? maganda na ba ang system dun sa main office? Would it be better to go there morning or after lunch?

thanks!