pinascoot on February 16, 2007, 10:18:36 AM
I like this!

I'm looking for a used one if there is any.

Nice thread for a change guys!

lex on February 16, 2007, 03:57:33 PM
I like this!

I'm looking for a used one if there is any.

Nice thread for a change guys!

america's cup! nice!

pinascoot on February 16, 2007, 05:54:33 PM
america's cup! nice!

Yup yup! ...with regatta coundown timer pa!  Just what I want when I grow up.  :)

spank me on February 16, 2007, 07:15:41 PM
Seriously, what I like are old watches. It amazes me how these old pieces still hold up to now. I'm an amateur horologist and collector.

nahawa ako sayo yey ;D
Meliora Eligo!

http://kitton060708.multiply.com/

Mabuhay ang Euroscoot!

dmd316 on February 16, 2007, 08:32:49 PM
nice thread, we could help each other to look for our dream watches...
actually i'm seriously looking for oris watch,it doesn't matter kung used basta same model nun attachment.
Vespa Club Of the Philippines
        *** VCOP ***
http://dmd316.multiply.com/

corlioni on February 16, 2007, 10:58:09 PM

yung Mickey Mouse watch was immortalized in the movie The Wall, full screen siya for several seconds....am not sure if meron pang ibang films that did the same.

yung ibang relo kaya? other than James Bond films
I have seen life from both sides now.
On top of my Vespa...and from beneath it when I crashed.

johos on February 17, 2007, 12:00:52 AM
With me it's more of a fascination, imagine being able to own something from an era/time way back.  I started by collecting Omega Constellations then it led to anything Omega.  Then I decided to collect Military watches so I started buying Elgins, Gruens, Hamiltons then this led to anything American.  Then I started with pocket watches, I'm fortunate to have some railroad pocket watches and one made in 1898.  Imagine that! I own something from 1898! The railroad pocket watches are interesting, since train engineers had no way of communicating with other trains and stations, they needed an accurate time piece to avoid being late and any accidents.  A railroad pocket watch is synonymous with todays chronometer.  Pocket watches are definitely a thing of the past.  Anyway I have a couple of Heurs before they became a Tag, an early Explorer 1 and a Bubble back Rolex, a couple of GPs.

I stopped collecting/buying when I started going crazy looking for a Gruen doctors watch, an Omega wind up chrono moon watch, an Omega RAF military watch, a military IWC, a USAF Breitling, a Patek or Omega perpetual, a Patek Calatrava, a Paul Newman Daytona Rolex, an Omega military pocket...hehehe crazy.

If I may stray a bit boss Bimbo. Yey is right there is something about old classics.  I own an American made bellows camera and a Nikon F2A and Im still looking for a Leica.  I recently bought at a bargain an early model Superposed Browning its an over and under shotgun with engravings, leather case and all. This model was the last firearm and only shotgun that John Mosses Browning designed. Browning has stopped making this model. Sobrang ganda I dont think I can fire it!  There is something about vintage/old school craftsmanship, the bottomline back then was the bragging rights that an artisan made the best, nowadays everything is mass produced and the bottomline is the pay at the end of the day which is why you have recalls, defects and lemons. Sigh! The Vespa keeps me grounded  :)

Slick on February 17, 2007, 09:02:45 AM
Watches? what watches? we don't need no stingkin watches!  oops! baka pagalitan ako ni boss Bimbo! I love watches!

randypogi on February 17, 2007, 09:43:01 AM
galing ng collection ni sir johos!  :) 

some swiss watch brands are indeed very expensive. there are the entry level, mid brands and the more exotic expensive brands like patek and vacheron. some swiss brands uses the ETA movement (a company that manufactures watch movements) and sometimes upgrade the movement to incorporate it to their own design. the more expensive brands have their own movements like Audemars and JLC. the latest news is that ETA will no longer sell their watch movements to swiss watch brands.  ???
some swiss brands are new in the market but command a very high price like frank muller, chronoswiss, hublot etc... because of winning awards (i.e. most complicated movement or design of the watch) during the baselworld which is the oscars of horology. it's nice to learn more on the different swiss watch brands heritage.
just my 2 cent worth... :D
2Corinthians 5:17

VESPA on February 17, 2007, 09:51:41 AM
nice thread, we could help each other to look for our dream watches...
actually i'm seriously looking for oris watch,it doesn't matter kung used basta same model nun attachment.

DMD, the ORIS flagship store is in Mall of Asia. Ganda nung BMW F1 Chrono.....
VESPA PX 150E GREEN 97
VESPA PX 150E RED "Tantrum"
VESPA PX 150E Black "Delirium"
ITALJET DRAGSTER 01
Oldschool Scooter Club, MNL

spank me on February 17, 2007, 12:26:57 PM

yung Mickey Mouse watch was immortalized in the movie The Wall, full screen siya for several seconds....am not sure if meron pang ibang films that did the same.

yung ibang relo kaya? other than James Bond films

meron din sa "Da Vinci code" sa armoured van scene, di nga lang masaydong clear. kalaban kasi ng disney pictures yung gumawa ng film kaya mejo malabo yung kuha. ;)
Meliora Eligo!

http://kitton060708.multiply.com/

Mabuhay ang Euroscoot!

johos on February 17, 2007, 03:48:22 PM
Interesting news about ETA Randy. A big bulk of todays contemporary Swiss watches use this movement.  Thats why I prefer the early ones.  I almost bought a hunter pocket watch Vacheron Constantin engraving and all.  A hunter pocket watch is the one that has a flip cover like a clam phone.  Anyway sayang I didnt buy it I was too snooty thinking that the best pockets were only American made.

I met some collectors of high end stuff Audemars, Breguet, Muller, Patek... ang gaganda! I met someone who had a high end collection and he has two of each! One to keep mint and the other to wear. Crazier than me! Huge investment! On the other hand I met the President of Toyota Motor Philippines, his daily wear is a high end but he has an interesting collection of low end Swiss watches.  I've seen an interesting collection of Mickey Mouse watches in the US and and met a Filipino Doctor in L.A. who has all the models of Swatch brand new from the very first model to every new one that is released!

Buy what you like so you enjoy it right away. The ROI is secondary.  Remember the adage of investment of buying low and selling high.  So sometimes that rare low end can be interesting.     

randypogi on February 17, 2007, 07:23:03 PM
wow!  :o a vacheron constantin pocket watch! sayang it slipped away....

i agree with you (sir johos) that the best pocket watches are made in america because it was mainly used by train/railroad people. some collectors based their collection by categories or function/design. some collect all chronographs other collect all heuer (pre-tag heuer) watches as an example. some even to an extent have a large collection of 'swatch' watches.  :)

Buy what you like so you enjoy it right away. The ROI is secondary.  Remember the adage of investment of buying low and selling high.  So sometimes that rare low end can be interesting.     

i agree with sir johos! IMHO.
2Corinthians 5:17

direkyey on February 18, 2007, 02:34:56 PM
Wrote this a couple of years back...

I would just like to share a story about a timepiece that I got from my dad this year.

As a kid, I remember my dad using an old pocketwatch which he always boasted belonged to my lolo. He was using it as his daily timepiece and one day I noticed that he was back using his old Rolex all-steel Oyster Precision. I remember asking him where the pocketwatch was and he brought it out and said he dropped it and has been deemed irrepairable by a a watch repair shop in Escolta. It was in bad shape. The hands were all mangled and the glass cover cracked and separated from the watch already. That was that and the watch was put aside in the family safe to be forgotten. This was back in the early 70's.

Just last year, my wife was gifted with a pocket watch by my mother-in-law who visited Switzerland. For some reason, I remembered the watch that my father used when I was a kid. I gave my dad, who is now 87, a call and asked about it. He said it was in the safe. I asked him if I could have a look and he reminded me of the shape it was in. I went to my dad's house and looked at it. Boy, was it in bad shape! As I mentioned, the hands were mangled and the glass cracked and separated from the watch already. I took it home and started to tinker around with it. I started to wind it and I was shocked to hear a ticking sound! I looked at the second hand and it was moving! It was alive!!! I was staring at it in disbelief and my heart sank when I saw the hour and minute hands cut and bent out of shape. I placved some calls to some watch collector friends and was directed to call a schoolmate from the Ateneo, Rani Jalandoni, who had to study watchmaking to maintain his over 300 pieces of Omega collection. I brought it to him and he was amazed at the condition of this over 90 year old time piece. He said that it didn't even have to be taken apart for cleaning and all it needed was dusting. He replaced the hands with what he had and got a new glass cover for it.

The pocket is an 18K solid gold, 21 jewel Howard Pocketwatch (photos attached). It was built sometime between the 1900's and the 1930's when the company was still in existence. My dream now is to be able to bring it back to its original state–hands and the glass cover. Thanks to PenManila, I now have a place where they might know where I can have this done. Salamat po, Mr. Butch.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2007, 02:39:34 PM by direkyey »
Riding a scooter is like eating steak and having sex at the same time. It's wonderful.
-Mikey Teutul/American Chopper

EuroScoot, Inc.

Scars are tattoos with stories to tell - Unknown

2001 Ford Explorer Sport Trac
2012 150 cc. 4T Stella

lex on February 18, 2007, 07:12:41 PM
Railroad watches... pretty interesting..

i picked up one watch catalogue from a local watch dealer .. the brand is BALL .. i believe the history of the watch company dates back late 1800s when americans were building their railroad system...

Anyway, their watches look nice.. they have these gas powered lumes, ang liwanag! hehe... i saw a couple displayed at edsa shangrila hotel... ang liwanag nya talaga sa dilim...

johos, very nice collection!  are you still wearing all you watches? or just keeps them safe in a wooden watch box? hehe dami eh  ;D