Johan01 on September 26, 2010, 11:40:26 PM
I'm thinking of having one of my Hexagons repainted. What colors have you seen that work well on Hex's?

My top picks:
silver, metallic gun metal gray, RED, or YELLOW.

How about the lower half of the bike?  Should it be same color as the top half, or do I go flat black, or OEM gray? Should I paint the top box also?

I dont think pastel colors would work well on a hex. I think it should either a serious metallic color, or very bright solid color.  Ano ba usong color scheme nun late 90's?

What you think?  ???  ???   

vespinoy on September 27, 2010, 10:00:54 AM
i had my hex painted a bright blue on the top part and gun metal grey on the bottom.  i tried painting it one color, it never looked right.   
"I didn't get a harrumph outta that guy."
"Give the governor a harrumph."
"Harrumph!"

Johan01 on September 28, 2010, 10:10:10 PM
i had my hex painted a bright blue on the top part and gun metal grey on the bottom.  i tried painting it one color, it never looked right.  

You're absolutely right about the monotone color-scheme.  i've searched the net for pics and they didn't look right.

My previous hex was also bright blue, but with flat black lower panels.

Right now, I'm leaning towards silver or metallic gray.
I should've made this thread into a poll :)

vespinoy on September 29, 2010, 07:11:17 AM
That looks almost like my old hex! hehe
"Harrumph!"

Johan01 on January 23, 2011, 08:53:01 PM
Just wanted to post an update on my "project". 

So I started with this:

Its a 2 year old rattle-can DIY paintjob (RJ-London Lacquer).    It was nice when it was new, but it didn't last long.  It buffs well, but leave it under the sun for a week or two and it gets bad again.  It looks good in the picture above but when up close and personal, its not that nice.  Haze, pinholes, bubbles, wrinkles and sags. 

So I proceeded with tear down:

And proceeded with sanding off the layers of old paint (including a previous paint job over the original paint).   Stripsol not allowed.   It probably took about 30 hours of mano-mano sanding with 200 grit wet paper.

I then took it to a auto-paint shop for proper prep and a coat of 2K polyurethane with clear...

Ta-dah!

bow!  ;D

Italix on January 24, 2011, 09:01:38 AM
Nice job!  I had a Hex too.  It's a wonderful scoot indeed.  Worth your time and effort restoring.

direkpal on January 24, 2011, 01:57:05 PM
very niiiice ....  :)
vespa granturismo sport gts300ie super - bianco bella

euroscoot inc - decade 1

Johan01 on January 24, 2011, 10:27:28 PM
Nice job!  I had a Hex too.  It's a wonderful scoot indeed.  Worth your time and effort restoring.
Thanks!
very niiiice ....  :)
Thanks thanks!

It's far from done though -- still need to sort out the faded Piaggio top-box and some detailing for the front fork and engine.  Also need some Piaggio stickers for the trunk lid and the front handlebar cover.  I'm also planning to figure out what to do with the faded "hexagon" emblems for the side.   But with the new paint and new Metzelers, its all good!

direkyey on January 25, 2011, 08:08:27 AM
Try to source some references for the stickers and get in touch with our resident sticker guy, fedaplus. As for the emblems, get in touch with 2211 Works. They might have some in stock.

My first and third scoots were Hex's. They were fun bikes!
Riding a scooter is like eating steak and having sex at the same time. It's wonderful.
-Mikey Teutul/American Chopper

EuroScoot, Inc.

Scars are tattoos with stories to tell - Unknown

2001 Ford Explorer Sport Trac
2012 150 cc. 4T Stella

projectV on January 26, 2011, 02:14:53 AM
ako din nagka-HEXAGON kulay talong :)
V.C.O.P.

vespinoy on January 26, 2011, 05:14:05 PM
ditch the box for a Givi.  I'm sure you can figure out how to mount the Givi plate to the rack of the Hex.
"Harrumph!"

Johan01 on January 26, 2011, 10:49:12 PM
ditch the box for a Givi.  I'm sure you can figure out how to mount the Givi plate to the rack of the Hex.

Yes, I agree with that approach. I already have a 39liter givi box waiting to be installed. :-).